Man Arrested In Jeddah After Knife Attack On Guard At French Consulate


DUBAI: A Saudi man was arrested in Jeddah after attacking and injuring a guard with a “sharp tool” at the French consulate on Thursday, Saudi state TV reported.

The French Embassy said the consulate was subject to an “attack by knife which targeted a guard”, adding the guard was taken to hospital and his life was not in danger.

“The French embassy strongly condemns this attack against a diplomatic outpost which nothing could justify,” an embassy statement said.

The attack happened after a knife-wielding man shouting “Allahu Akbar” beheaded a woman and killed two other people in the French city of Nice earlier on Thursday. Nice’s mayor described the attack as terrorism.

France is still reeling from the beheading earlier this month of a school teacher by a man of Chechen origin. The attacker had said he wanted to punish the teacher for showing pupils cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad in a civics lesson.

Since Paty’s killing, French officials have re-asserted the right to display the cartoons, and the images have been widely displayed at marches in solidarity with the killed teacher.

That has prompted anger in parts of the Muslim world, with some governments accusing Macron of pursuing an anti-Islam agenda.

Saudi Arabia on Tuesday condemned cartoons offending the Prophet Mohammad, but held back from echoing calls by other Muslim states for action against images being displayed in France of the Prophet.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor



Source link

COVID-19 news from across the United States


Fresh restrictions are rolling out in parts of Europe and the United States in a push to fight a new COVID-19 surge on two continents. 

The U.S. saw nearly 79,000 new virus cases on Wednesday – coming close to an all-time daily high reported last week – as more new cases were reported globally than ever before: more than 530,000, according to Johns Hopkins University. 

Wisconsin’s governor is urging people to stay home as the state endures a spike in hospitalizations. Chicago has banned indoor dining and drinking. Denver has reverted to boosted restrictions that impact restaurants and retail spaces. And Newark has imposed a curfew for nonessential businesses. 

In Europe, France is now bracing for a second national lockdown, with French President Emmanuel Macron saying the nation has been “overpowered by a second wave.” German Chancellor Angela Merkel has announced a shutdown of theaters, restaurants and bars for four weeks “to avoid an acute national health emergency.”

Virus Outbreak Germany
A man wearing a face mask walks over a bridge with the buildings of the banking district in background in Frankfurt, Germany, on October 29, 2020.

Michael Probst/AP


Contributing: The Associated Press 



Source link

Norton Files New Trademarks Under TVS Ownership


British motorcycle brand Norton has filed for as many as six names taken from the brand’s history for future products.



expandView Photos

Norton has filed for as many as six new names under TVS ownership

Norton Motorcycles has filed trademark applications for several new names, possibly to be used in a range of new motorcycle models to be launched under the ownership of India’s TVS Motor Company. The latest trademark applications, filed with the European Union Intellectual Property Office, are the first potential model names registered by the iconic British motorcycle brand since TVS acquired it in April 2020 for 16 million GBP. The names filed in the trademark applications are taken from Norton’s illustrious history, and include ‘Norton Electra’, ‘Norton Fastback’, ‘Norton Navigator’, ‘Norton Nomad’, ‘Norton Ranger’ and ‘Combat’.

Also Read: Norton Motorcycles Looks At Expanding Workforce Under TVS Ownership

pp5qneo

The Norton Atlas Nomad and the Norton Atlas Ranger share the same 650 cc parallel-twin engine

In the trademark applications, the names have been filed for use with what is described as “vehicles; apparatus for locomotion by land; motorcycles; mopeds; scooters; mobility scooters/motor scooters; parts and fittings for motorcycles and vehicles,” suggesting that these names will be used by TVS for new vehicles. TVS management has maintained that manufacturing of Norton motorcycles will continue in the UK, and Norton can use TVS Motor Company’s global network to service customers in overseas markets.

Also Read: TVS To Honour Bookings For Norton Bikes

Newsbeep

631el74s

The Norton SG6 race bike is based on the Norton V4 RR road bike

The Electra, Fastback, Navigator, Nomad and Ranger names were all previously used by the company in the 1960s and ’70s. The Navigator was a 349 cc twin developed from 1960 to 1965, while the Electra came with the same engine bored out to 383 cc in 1963. The Fastback was a name used for the Norton Commando 750 in the 1970s. The Norton P11A Ranger used to be produced from 1967 to 1969 while the Nomad dates back to the 1950s. In recent years, the Nomad and Ranger names were used in variants of the new 650 cc Norton Atlas, which was first announced in 2018.

Also Read: Norton’s New CEO Reassures Customers

5eh2ag7o

TVS acquired Norton Motorcycles for 16 million pounds in April 2020

0 Comments

TVS has indicated that it will honour deposits that customers had already paid to the previous management of Norton Motorcycles, and will complete those unfinished orders. At the time of acquiring Norton Motorcycles, the TVS management had indicated that manufacturing of Norton motorcycles will continue on in the UK, and will not be moved to India, where TVS has two manufacturing facilities. For now, the focus seems to be on reviving Norton, but with trademarks filed for so many names, it begs the question if TVS will be looking to explore the rapidly growing mid-size segment of modern classic bikes, between 350-700 cc engine displacement. If that is a consideration, the story of Norton Motorcycles may very well get a lot more interesting in the years to come.

For the latest auto news and reviews, follow carandbike.com on Twitter, Facebook, and subscribe to our YouTube channel.





Source link

Regulator recommends scrapping next summer’s GCSE exams in Wales


Next summer’s timetabled GCSE examinations in Wales should be scrapped, with grades awarded based on coursework and common assessments, an exam regulator has recommended.

Qualifications Wales said students should continue to sit summer A-level exams as in previous years, but the testing regime for GCSE and AS-level students would be different.

This summer’s exam season turned into a fiasco after tests were cancelled because of the Covid-19 lockdown.

Grades were instead awarded by a controversial algorithm before that was scrapped and replaced by teacher assessments.

Kirsty Williams
Kirsty Williams (Andrew Matthews/PA)

Education minister Kirsty Williams commissioned an independent inquiry into what went wrong and also requested advice about how next summer’s exams season could look, if there were future lockdowns or students were self-isolating.

Qualifications Wales is recommending that external assessments be retained for GCSEs, AS and A-levels next summer but that there should be no timetabled exams except for A-levels.

Grades for GCSEs and AS-levels will instead be awarded based on coursework and a set of common assessments taken during the year.

The exam regulator is also recommending schools and colleges are given “windows of opportunity” for when assessments take place within which there will be some flexibility.

For A-levels, in addition to coursework and set tasks, students would need to sit one exam per subject but with a backup opportunity to take the exam if the pupil is ill or is self-isolating.

Qualifications Wales is working on plans with fellow regulators in England and Northern Ireland for how vocational qualifications serving the three nations will be awarded next year.

They said that whichever model was adopted for next year, it was likely to impact on 2022 as well and had concluded there was not a “sufficiently robust mechanism of moderation that can be put in place effectively for next summer”.

In the letter of advice to Ms Williams, David Jones, chairman of Qualifications Wales, and chief executive Philip Blaker said: “Should you decide to take this path, then we and (exam board) WJEC will work to implement as robust a solution as possible in the circumstances, but cannot guarantee that it will address the inconsistencies and inherent unfairness experienced in summer 2020.”

They added: “We are proposing different assessment arrangements that provide greater flexibility, without the need for significant additional contingency measures.”

Meanwhile, an independent review commissioned by the Welsh Government has recommended that students should not sit exams at all next year and qualifications awarded on the basis of “robust and moderated assessment undertaken in schools and colleges”.

“Following extensive consultation with a wide range of stakeholders across Wales, the panel strongly believes that to proceed with any form of an exam series in 2021 would be both unfair to the young people of Wales, and would carry high risks of further disruption,” they said.

Ms Williams said she would announce a final decision on next year’s exams on November 10.

Welsh pupils are currently on their half-term holiday and Wales is at the beginning of a 17-day firebreak lockdown.

Primary school children and Years 7 and 8 will return to school on November 2, while Years 9, 10, 11 and sixth formers will go back on November 9.

“I know how important an issue next year’s exams are for many learners and their families,” the minister said.

“Last week, I said that I would soon make a decision on what qualifications in Wales would look like next year and that I would announce that decision on November 10.

“The reason for waiting until then is so that all learners will be back in school following the firebreak, with access to and support from their teachers.

“I also said that I was awaiting important information and advice relating to qualifications before making any decisions.

“This included the interim recommendations of an independent review I commissioned and further advice from Qualifications Wales with a specific focus on deliverability and equality in any approach.”

Suzy Davies MS, Welsh Conservative shadow education minister, said: “It really isn’t helpful that these two reviews solve nothing, with both fundamentally disagreeing with each other.

“I hope that the education minister shows some leadership on this issue, unlike earlier in the year when she pushed decisions onto teachers and school leaders instead of leading from the front.”

Plaid Cymru shadow education minister Sian Gwenllian endorsed the findings of the independent review and said next year’s exams should be replaced with centre assessment grades.

She added: “Theirs is a proposal that places the wellbeing of the learner at the heart of the system and recognises the devastating impact of the pandemic on this cohort.

“A ‘one size fits all’ exam approach is not what this cohort needs right now.”





Source link

DTE to Declare Diploma Results Shortly at bteresults.net


Department of Technical Education (DTE), Karnataka will be declaring BTELINX Karnataka Diploma Result 2020 on Thursday, October 29. The authorities will be releasing results for the second, fourth and sixth semesters. Once the BTELINX Karnataka Result 2020 have been declared, candidates can check the same on the official website of the university, dtek.karnataka.gov.in or on bteresults.net.

The BTELINX Karnataka Diploma examination 2020 was held by the Department of Technical Education, Karnataka. As per various reports, the BTELINX Karnataka 2020 results were said to be declared after 3 pm today on the official website. According to a report published in Times Now, the official website of the university is facing some glitches due to heavy traffic.

For checking the results, students must ensure that they have their correct exam roll number and other necessary details that are required to access the BTELINX Karnataka Result 2020.

Once the BTELINX Karnataka result 2020 is out, the students can check their results by following the steps:

Step 1: Open a browser of your choice and log on to either the official website of the university, dtek.karnataka.gov.in or to bteresults.net

Step 2: On the homepage, look for an option that reads ‘Diploma Exam Result 2020’ and click on it

Step 3: You will be directed to a new page, where you will be asked to fill in your personal details like date of birth as well as your exam roll number among other things. After cross checking the details for accuracy, hit the submit button

Step 4: Download and save the result or take a print out of the same for future reference

Meanwhile, it must be noted that the university only conducted examination for final semester students. They were held from September 7 to September 28. The exams were initially scheduled from July 15 to August 8. The second and fourth semester exams were called off due to the ongoing pandemic. The students in these two semesters will be awarded 50 percent marks on their performance in the previous semester, and the other 50 percent marks based on the internal evaluation.



Source link

Hero MotoCorp Announces Festive Offers On Xtreme 160R


Hero Motocorp is offering some great discounts and schemes on the Hero Xtreme 160R in order to boost sales during the festive season. Read on to know more about these schemes.



expandView Photos

Hero is offering a variety of schemes and discounts on the Xtreme 160R

Hero MotoCorp is looking to boost the sales of the Xtreme 160R during the festive season and the company has introduces a few schemes and offers in a bid to do so. To begin with, there is a corporate discount of up to ₹ 2,000 on the motorcycle along with an exchange bonus of ₹ 3,000 and a loyalty bonus of ₹ 2,000. So, one can straightway save up to ₹ 9,000 here. Similarly, in case a customer uses an ICICI credit/debit card, he/she can avail of a cashback of up to ₹ 5,000. And if you want to make the payment for the motorcycle via PayTM, you stand to get a cashback of ₹ 7,500. The offers and discounts come with various terms and conditions and they are valid till November 17, 2020. Currently, the prices of the Hero Xtreme 160R start at ₹ 1.02 lakh and go up to ₹ 1.05 lakh (Ex-showroom, Delhi)

Also Read: Hero And Harley-Davidson Ink Deal For Selling, Developing & Marketing Premium Bikes

naoq26mk

(Hero launched the Xtreme 160R in June 2020)

The Hero Xtreme 160R gets a 160 cc, single-cylinder engine that is fuel injected and BS6 compliant. The engine makes 15 bhp at 8,500 rpm along with 14 Nm of peak torque at 6,500 rpm. The engine is paired with a 5-speed gearbox. The company claims that the motorcycle can hit 0-60 kmph in just 4.7 seconds.

Also Read: Hero MotoCorp’s Net Profit Rises 9 Per Cent In Q2 FY’21

Newsbeep

vro4l5rg

(The Hero Xtreme160R is one of the best options to buy in the 160 cc bike segment in India)

0 Comments

In other news, Hero MotoCorp has partnered with Harley-Davidson to sell and service Harley-Davidson motorcycles and also sell parts/accessories, as well as general merchandise, riding gear and apparel through a network of brand-exclusive Harley-Davidson dealers and Hero’s existing dealership network in India. According to a press statement, as part of a new licensing agreement, Hero MotoCorp will develop and sell a range of premium motorcycles under the Harley-Davidson brand name.

For the latest auto news and reviews, follow carandbike.com on Twitter, Facebook, and subscribe to our YouTube channel.





Source link

Mamata Banerjee Reschedules Kolkata International Film Festival to January 2021 Due to Covid-19


Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the internationally acclaimed Kolkata International Film Festival (KIFF) has been rescheduled to January 2021 by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee.

It was learnt that as per initial plan the KIFF was supposed to be held during November 5-12, 2020 but the dignitaries and global film fraternity suggested the state government to postpone it to January.

Confirming the development, Banerjee, tweeted on Thursday, said, “After receiving global film fraternity’s consent, I hereby inform all stakeholders of Kolkata International Film Festival & Cine lovers that our festival has been rescheduled, given the current circumstances. It will now be held from Jan 8-15, 2021. Let the preparations begin!”

There are three competition categories in the festival, including Asian Select (Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema Award), Competition of Indian language’s Films and International Competition based on innovation in moving images.

Due to Covid-19 pandemic, the 26th edition of KIFF has been designed in a smarter frame considering the need of social distancing in this time of crisis. This edition has been proposed primarily in online mode for the cine lovers, critics, actors and others so that they continue to feel the pulse of the film festival.

The Kolkata Film Festival was started in the year 1995 after being inspired from the masters of Bengali Cinema – Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak, Mrinal Sen and many more. Last year the KIFF was inaugurated by actor Shah Rukh Khan in November after Amitabh Bachchan, had to cancel his visit at the last minute due to health reasons.

The KIFF is an annual affair and several international films are showcased during the festival. During this period Kolkata welcomes arrival many international and nationally acclaimed artists, film directors and producers.





Source link

Bihar varsity recruitment: BSUSC set to extend deadline to apply for 4638 assistant professor posts – education


Bihar state university service commission (BSUSC) is set to extend the date for submission of applications for appointment of 4638 assistant professors in 52 subjects in the state’s universities.

The commission had advertised the vacancies on September 23, just ahead of the announcement of state assembly election, and the last date for submission of applications online was November 2.

However, in view of state assembly election and restricted activities in the universities due to Covid-19 pandemic and other offices, the candidates were finding it difficult to procure the required certificates.

“Due to puja, pandemic and elections, procuring certificates and documents is very difficult, as officials are not available. We have urged the commission to extend the date by at least 30-40 days. Even getting a caste and income certificate is difficult. There are many others who have submitted their Ph.D thesis, but viva is still awaited due to non-availability of reports from experts. Others are struggling to submit their thesis,” they said.

Following growing requests from candidates, the commission has decided to extend the date. “It is under our active consideration. We will decide on the period of extension on Friday,” said commission chairman Dr Rajvardhan Azad.

Bihar’s universities and colleges are seriously understaffed due to delayed recruitments. Last time, BPSC had advertised 3364 vacancies in 2014 nearly 17 years after the previous advertisement in 1997 and the interview process got underway in 2015 and stretched up to 2020.

During the period, growing vacancies due to retirement virtually diluted fresh intake. Many colleges and departments in the state continue to run without any teacher or just one or two.



Source link