A British toddler has been killed by a Jeep while on holiday in the Republic of Ireland.
It is understood the boy, who was under the age of two, had been staying at a property in Co Roscommon with his parents.
Irish police said the boy was hit by the car near Ballinagare shortly after 9am on Friday.
He received treatment at the scene, but was later pronounced dead. His body has been taken to the mortuary at University Hospital Galway for post-mortem examination.
No other injuries were reported as a result of the collision.
The boy was killed close to the house where he and his family had been staying. It is understood his parents visited the area often.
Fianna Fail councillor Paschal Fitzmaurice said: “Members of the local community are shocked and saddened at death of toddler.
“Our sympathies are with the family on this sad occasion. I want to send the family our condolences and to let them know they are in our thoughts and prayers.”
Tom Crosby, an independent councillor and Cathaoirleach of Roscommon County Council, said the local community has been left devastated by the “horrific accident”.
“It has been a horror,” he added.
“As Cathaoirleach of the council, I want to send my sincere sympathies to the boy’s family and friends and all the neighbours. It is such a tragedy.
“The incident was so unfortunate in the way that it happened. It is a close-knit community and the area is in total shock.
“It is not a typical place for holiday homes but it is a quiet location for visitors.”
Police in Ireland are appealing for road users who may have video footage to make it available to them and for any witnesses to come forward.
Anyone with information can contact Boyle Garda Station on 0719664620 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.