Former Hey Dad! actor Robert Hughes parole decision deferred

Former Hey Dad! actor Robert Hughes parole decision deferred


Disgraced former sitcom actor Robert Hughes is awaiting a big decision on his future after spending almost eight years behind bars.

Ex-Australian TV star and convicted paedophile Robert Hughes will have to wait longer than expected to learn if he has been granted parole after serving almost eight years behind bars for child sex offences.

The NSW State Parole Authority (SPA) held a closed hearing on Thursday to consider if the 73-year-old former Hey Dad! actor would be suitable for release on parole.

Afterwards, a spokeswoman said a decision on the matter had been “stood over”.

“Given the complexities and seriousness of this matter, the SPA has called for a comprehensive psychological assessment of Hughes’ risk of sexual reoffending and a further report from Community Corrections,” she said.

“The SPA will hold a public review hearing on a date to be fixed before making a final decision on parole.”

Hughes had previously twice been denied parole and after he renounced his Australian citizenship.

The parole board said if granted parole, Hughes would be deported to the UK where he was residing at the time of his arrest.

In 2014 he was handed a 10 year and nine-month prison sentence after receiving 10 convictions for child sex offences that included sexual intercourse without consent and multiple acts of indecent assault.

Hughes, who has repeatedly denied wrongdoing, targeted four victims aged under 16, in the 1980s and ’90s.

According to court documents, the bulk of the offences were committed before he secured the lead role of widowed dad Martin Kelly on the hit Channel 7 sitcom that ran for seven years.

While in jail, Hughes claimed he was subject to constant verbal and physical abuse that included excrement, urine and boiling water being thrown over him.

Hughes’ sentence is due to expire on January 6, 2025.



Source link

Author: Shirley