How pensioners living abroad, NRIs can submit life certificate

How pensioners living abroad, NRIs can submit life certificate

It is mandatory for all family pensioners and central government pensioners to submit their yearly life certificates in November. It must be physically turned in at a bank, post office, or can also be completed online.

Note that the change in the citizenship by any Non-Resident Indian pensioner will not affect his entitlement to the pension.

The Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare (DoPPW) gave information regarding the various methods a pensioner living abroad might utilise to submit the life certificate in an office memorandum dated September 22, 2021.

Latest NRE FD interest rates: SBI vs HDFC Bank vs ICICI Bank vs PNB vs Bank of India

In the case of a pensioner residing abroad, the following methods are available for submission of life certificate.

  • If he/she is drawing pension through any bank included in the Second Schedule to the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934, the life certificate may be signed by an officer of the Bank.
  • An authorized official of the Embassy of India/High Commission of India/Indian Consulates may issue the life certificate.
  • In case the pensioner is unable to visit the Embassy/Consulate, he/she may submit requisite documents by post to the Embassy/Consulate, including Doctor’s Certificate showing the pensioner’s inability to present himself/herself in person. Embassy of India/High Commission/Indian Consulate may also assist pensioners/family pensioners in submission of the Life Certificate.
  • A Pensioner, not resident in India, in respect of whom a duly authorized agent produces a Life Certificate, signed by a magistrate or a notary or an officer of an Indian authorized Bank or Diplomatic Representative of India, is exempted from special appearance.
  • ‘There have been complaints that life certificate submitted over the counter of pension paying branches are misplaced causing delay in payment of monthly pension. In order to alleviate the hardship faced by pensioners, agency banks are instructed to mandatorily issue duly signed acknowledgements. They were also advised to consider entering the receipt of life certificate in CBS and issue a system generated acknowledgements which would serve the twin purpose of acknowledgement as well as real time updation of records.

Jeevan Pramaan Patra: 6 simple steps to submit Digital Life Certificate using face authentication
When a foreign-resident pensioner passes away, the following process will be performed to begin the family pension:
If the pensioner and spouse have a joint account, the Form 14 requirement has been waived. Through a simple letter, the spouse may notify the pension disbursing bank of the pensioner’s death and request that the family pension be started. He/she may send a copy of the pensioner’s death certificate, PPO, proof of his/her own age/date of birth, and a commitment to reclaim excess payment. In other circumstances, such as when the pension is not credited to the pensioner’s joint bank account, the banks will continue to acquire Form 14 from the family pensioner. However, the requirement of attestation of Form 14 has been removed, and two witnesses are regarded adequate.In the case of family pensioners who are unable to travel to India for personal identification, they may be eligible for pension/family pension based on a certificate issued by an authorised official of the Embassy of India/High Commission of India/Indian Consulate in the country where the pensioner resides. This certificate will be granted upon verification of the Pensioner/Family Pensioner based on the photograph in the PPO or the photograph in the Passport, according to the memorandum.NRI pensioner
According to the pensioner portal website, The Authorised Bank(AB) may credit the pension amount of non-resident to a non-resident (ordinary) account opened/maintained as per provision of the Exchange Control.”

If the pensioner has an existing account, he should notify the pension paying branch in India that he has become a non-resident Indian. The paying branch in India will then convert the pensioner’s account to a Non-resident Ordinary (NRO) Account upon receiving this information.

Every year in November, the pensioner is required to present the life certificate that was issued by an authorised representative of the Indian Embassy or High Commission, Consul of Indian Consulates, Notary Public, or Officer of an Indian Authorised Bank attached to its branch in the nation where the pensioner resides.

Source link

Author: Shirley