The summer transfer window was unlike any other; see all the major deals and check out how we graded the biggest signings. And just because the window is shut until January, that doesn’t mean the rumours won’t keep coming. Here is the latest gossip and speculation.
TOP STORY: Newcastle eye Rabiot as big signing
The Old Lady are said to be willing to move on the France international as they start a midfield shakeup of the squad, while the 26-year-old would prefer a move to the Premier League.
Juventus are eyeing a reshuffle to their midfield ranks — AS Monaco‘s Aurelien Tchouameni and Manchester United‘s Donny van de Beek are seen as options — but the Italian side must move some players beforehad.
Newcastle are now being linked to numerous transfers due to the wealth of the club’s new owners, with UEFA Nations League winner Rabiot the latest to enter the conversation.
Juventus would be able to move him on for a minimal valuation whilst losing very little, as the player joined on a free transfer from Paris Saint-Germain in 2019. He has struggled in Serie A amid a mixture of inconsistent performances and injuries.
A new club could also be the fresh start Rabiot needs to stay in the mix with Les Bleus ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
11.31 BST: Jesse Lingard is wanted by Barcelona and AC Milan as he gets closer to the end of his contract at Manchester United, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
Lingard has entered the final year of his deal at Old Trafford and will be able to negotiate with clubs outside England from Jan. 1 ahead of a potential free transfer next summer.
Barcelona and Milan are among a host of clubs monitoring the situation and Lingard is open to moving to either Spain or Italy as he plots the next step in his career.
The opportunity to sign an experienced England international on a free transfer during a time when finances have been restricted because of the coronavirus pandemic has made Lingard an attractive prospect for a number of Europe’s top clubs.
Lingard has already rejected a contract offer from United over concerns he may not get enough opportunities to keep his place in Gareth Southgate’s England squad as the 2022 World Cup approaches. United are yet to return with a fresh proposal.
10.39 BST: Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers has no interest in taking over at Newcastle United should the club decide to fire Steve Bruce, the Daily Telegraph reports.
A Saudi Arabia-led takeover of Newcastle was completed last week, with the Public Investment Fund (PIF) buying the Premier League club in a deal worth just over £300m. The takeover by the world’s largest sovereign wealth fund has led to speculation over the future of Bruce and who might replace him at St James’ Park.
However, the Telegraph reports that Rodgers — whose Leicester side beat Chelsea to win the FA Cup final last season — is totally committed to the Foxes and has no plans to leave them for Newcastle.
09.44 BT: Diego Simeone has admitted that he wanted to bring Lionel Messi to Atletico Madrid this summer, saying he called Luis Suarez to ask if a deal was possible.
Messi became a free agent when his Barcelona contract expired on June 30, and planned to stay until the club announced that financial problems would prevent them from registering a new, agreed deal.
The 34-year-old eventually signed for Paris Saint-Germain on August 10, signing a two-year contract with the option of a further year.
“When what happened at Barcelona happened, we called Luis,” Simeone told Argentine newspaper Diario Ole. “I didn’t call Leo. But I called Luis to say ‘look, how is he? Would he be keen? Is there the slightest possibility… imagining that he could come to Atletico Madrid.”
08.51 BST: Former England midfielder Jack Wilshere insists he is still hoping to find a club to continue his playing career despite working toward his coaching qualifications at former club Arsenal.
Wilshere is a free agent after being released by Bournemouth in the summer and then having his signing for Serie B club Como blocked due to EU restrictions.
The 29-year-old is back training at Arsenal — where he spent a decade as a player — and has been helping academy boss Per Mertesacker while keeping fit while he looks for a new club to join.
“At the moment I am doing my coaching badges and the club is helping me with them and I am helping some of the academy kids out as well,” Wilshere told Sky. “It is certainly something I enjoy and maybe something to look at in the future but for now I still want to play.
“I feel like I still have a lot to give and something to prove which is why I don’t want to finish playing now and start a coaching career just yet.”
On being invited back to Arsenal by manager Mikel Arteta, a former teammate of Wilshere’s the midfielder added: “It’s nice to be back seeing some old faces who I spent a lot of my life with.
“Fitness-wise I am getting there and it’s great to be back training with good players and the quality is only going to be beneficial for me moving forward.
“I’m there [at Arsenal] until January and there’s no news on any clubs but hopefully something will come up then.”
08.00 BST: Phil Foden is set to pledge his long-term future to Manchester City by signing a new six-year contract, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
The midfielder has three years left to run on his current deal but the fresh terms will reflect his rise to become one of the most important members of Pep Guardiola’s squad. Sources have told ESPN that City are expected to make an announcement once the final details are tied up.
The 21-year-old Foden has become a central figure since coming through the club’s academy. He made 50 appearances, scoring 16 goals, as City won the Premier League title and reached the Champions League final last season.
Foden is the latest City player to agree a new contract following Ederson, Ruben Dias, John Stones and Kevin De Bruyne. His deal is set to keep him at the Etihad Stadium until at least 2027.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Luke Thrower)
– AC Milan are ready to move on winger Samu Castillejo with LaLiga club Getafe interested, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. The 26-year-old has recently found himself out of Stefano Pioli’s plans for the future, with Getafe reportedly reaching an agreement with the player over a move back to Spain.
– LaLiga sides Atletico Madrid and Sevilla are interested in Fenerbahce defender Attila Szalai, according to journalist Ekrem Konur. The Hungary international has impressed this season in in the Turkish league. At 23 years old, he could still improve at centre-back.
– Juventus have joined AS Roma in showing interest in Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Denis Zakaria. According to Tuttosport, Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri is eyeing the Switzerland international if they cannot land the aforementioned Tchouameni, with contacts opening over the possible transfer of the midfielder.
– AC Milan are interested in signing Serie B side Pisa’s youngster Lorenzo Lucca, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. The Rossoneri are in search of a young central striker to succeed Zlatan Ibrahimovic and eventually Olivier Giroud. Lucca, 21, has impressed with his consistency, with a valuation of €10 million reportedly set on him.
– Robert Lewandowski is reportedly frustrated at Bayern Munich amid uncertainty over his future, according to Sport BILD. The Poland international is irked about links between Bayern and Borussia Dortmund‘s Erling Haaland and FC Salzburg‘s Karim Adeyemi, both seen as potential successors to the 33-year-old.