Met Police receives Russell Brand sex assault claim | UK News

Met Police receives Russell Brand sex assault claim | UK News



The Met Police has said it has received an allegation of sexual assault against Russell Brand dating back to 2003.

It comes after four women made sexual abuse allegations against the comedian between 2006 and 2013 as part of an investigation by The Times, The Sunday Times and Channel 4 Dispatches.

Since publication, The Times said it had been contacted by “several women” with further claims about Brand, but said their allegations have not yet been investigated and “will now be rigorously checked”.

A spokesperson for the Met said: “We are aware of reporting by The Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches about allegations of sexual offences.

“On Sunday, 17 September, the Met received a report of a sexual assault which was alleged to have taken place in Soho in central London in 2003. Officers are in contact with the woman and will be providing her with support.

Read more:
The allegations against Russell Brand in full
Dannii Minogue and Katy Perry’s past warnings resurface
From drug addict to controversial comedy star

“We first spoke with The Sunday Times on Saturday, 16 September and have since made further approaches to The Sunday Times and Channel 4 to ensure that anyone who believes they have been the victim of a sexual offence is aware of how to report this to the police.

“We continue to encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a sexual offence, no matter how long ago it was, to contact us.”

Russell Brand, 48, denies any allegations against him. He claimed in a video posted online on Friday night that all of his relationships have been “consensual”.

Earlier on Monday one of his accusers claimed a BBC car took her from school to the star’s house when she was 16 years old.

“Alice” told BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour the alleged abusive relationship left her feeling “cheap and dirtied”.

She went on to say Brand’s denial of the accusations was “insulting”, adding: “It’s laughable that he would even imply that this is some kind of mainstream media conspiracy. He’s not outside the mainstream.”

Downing Street has also described the allegations against Brand as “very serious and concerning”.

Channel 4 and TV production firm Banijay UK confirmed over the weekend that they had launched investigations, while the BBC said it was “urgently looking into the issues raised”.

The charity Trevi Women, which supports mothers recovering from drug addiction, also announced on Saturday it was cutting ties with Brand.

Brand performed at a comedy show in London on Saturday evening after the allegations came out, telling fans he loved them but that there were “certain things” he “could not discuss”.

Brand has three more dates for his Bipolarisation live show tour, with his next a sell-out in Windsor, before appearances in Plymouth and Wolverhampton.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News App. You can also follow @SkyNews on X or subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.



Source link

Author: Shirley