A Victorian minister has slammed the conduct of Melbourne socialite Nadia Bartel who was filmed snorting a white powder in a video that emerged during the strict lockdown.
The video became public on Friday and showed Ms Bartel, the ex-wife of AFL player Jimmy Bartel, sniffing a substance.
The Instagram star and former WAG publicly apologised for her actions, posting on social media she took “full responsibility” and was committed to “ensure I make better choices in future”.
During the daily coronavirus press conference on Saturday, Industry Support Minister Martin Pakula was asked if he was frustrated by “such high-profile people flouting the rules”.
“When anyone flouts the rules it is more dangerous for the entire community and more likely that these sorts of restrictions will be in place for longer,” Mr Pakula answered.
“Obviously when it’s someone with a profile… it’s more publicised and it makes it clear that sort of conduct is not acceptable.
“So look, I’m not going to individualise this. That incident has been very, very well viewed now, very extensively viewed.”
Mr Pakula said that the participants in the video should be embarrassed if they weren’t already.
“I’m sure the participants are, or they should be, appropriately embarrassed,” he said.
“But it serves as a warning to all of us that the more of that sort of occurence takes place, the harder it is for us to drive case numbers down.”
Whether the people in the video would be punished was a matter for Victoria Police and the state’s authorised health officers, he added.
No fines have been issued or charges laid over the video.
“I understand they’ve been talking to one another, that’s not a matter for politicians,” Mr Pakula said.
The video has been deleted.
In Ms Bartel’s apology on Instagram, she said she felt embarrassed.
“To my family and friends, my business partners and the public health workers trying to keep us all safe, I am embarrassed and remorseful,” she wrote.
“I am truly and deeply sorry. I hope I can earn your forgiveness and, in time, your trust. Nadia.”
Premier Daniel Andrews previously told reporters he hadn’t seen the video and urged people to follow the rules.
It comes as the state recorded 190 coronavirus cases on Saturday.