NSW Health warns those who attended gathering in Pendle Hill to get tested

Advertisement


At least 28 people who were among a gathering of 50 grieving a family death in Sydney’s west have now contracted Covid-19

NSW health officials are urging any one who attended a home in Pendle Hill to get tested after the gathering of at least 50 grieving family members saw a considerable rise in cases in just two days.

The home, in Pendle Hill, is a cause for concern after a number of the new 141 virus cases yesterday attended the premises. The first case was notified on Saturday with 18 cases and rose to 28 on Sunday.

Of those 141 cases, nearly half were infectious in the community. Southwest Sydney contributed 62 of the new cases, while 46 were from western Sydney, 19 were from inner Sydney, 10 were from southeast Sydney, three were from the Central Coast and one was from northern Sydney.

The news of the gathering on Saturday saw Health Minister Dr Brad Hazzard warn people not to intermingle with family members from other households.

“It will continue to cause massive grief here in Sydney. Just, please, stop doing it,” he said.

RELATED: Friends in shock at NSW Covid-19 death

RELATED: NSW’s astonishing virus result

NSW Health’s Dr Jeremy McAnulty echoed those concerns on Sunday, warning the rise in cases “is a measure of just how dangerous it is to come together from different families”.

“We’ve now got 28 cases associated with that gathering so we’ve been working with community leaders in that area to make sure that people in that gathering are isolated and getting tested, it’s so important to come forward for testing.”

Dr McAnulty made the rules over family gatherings clear.

“Don’t visit other family, don’t visit other households, don’t let any one from your extended family who doesn’t live with you to come into your household.

“It’s so important, even if you think it is, it’s just not safe to do so.”

NSW has recorded 2081 cases since the latest outbreak on June 16.

A woman in her 30s who died of coronavirus in Sydney over the weekend has been identified as a 38-year-old Brazilian national with no pre-existing medical conditions.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced the death on Sunday and extended her condolences to the woman’s family.

New South Wales experienced a record of more than 102,000 tests after registering two deaths and the 141 new locally acquired cases of Covid-19. Of those cases, 141 people are in hospital, 43 of those in intensive care and 60 are under the age of 55, 28 under 35.

One of those in intensive care is in their teens, officials revealed.

“If anybody thinks this is a disease just affecting older people, please think again,” Ms Berejiklian said.

Despite the gathering in Sydney’s west Mr Hazzard said local community leaders had been very responsive to the health orders.

“We are a very multicultural society in southwest and western Sydney and it is one of the joys of this nation that we are a proud multicultural nation,” he said.

“But sometimes people who have come from overseas perhaps have suffered at the hands of other governments and perhaps getting the messages through is challenging.

“So, we need to find ways to keep working at that and get the messages through.”



Source link

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *