NSW source of infection for Virgin flight attendant


Queensland has recorded zero new locally acquired Covid-19 cases however a man and woman infectious with coronavirus have been active in the Brisbane area, acting premier Steve Miles has revealed.

A NSW who allegedly entered the sunny state, allegedly illegally, has been identified as the source of infection for a Virgin flight attendant who later tested positive for Covid-19.

The man flew from Sydney to Ballina on July 14, where he was picked up from Ballina airport in NSW by a Virgin flight attendant.

The woman was allowed to cross the border but the man was not allowed to enter Queensland.

The man was a close contact of another person in Sydney who had coronavirus.

The flight – Virgin VA 1139 from Sydney to Ballina arriving 11.45am – has been added to the NSW and Queensland Covid-19 exposure sites list and all passengers from that flight were considered a close contact, meaning they must isolate for 14 days regardless of the result of a mandatory test.

“She picked up that passenger from Ballina Airport and drove him back to Queensland,” Mr Miles said on Sunday.

“So it does appear that the flight attendant, who we reported (was positive) on Friday, caught Covid from the passenger on this flight to Ballina.

“Therefore, we would consider that the index case for this outbreak.”

He said they were “active” around Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

“Both cases, though, both these positive cases have been active in and around Brisbane and the Gold Coast,” acting premier Miles said.

“More locations were identified yesterday and they have been put on the (Queensland) Health website and we may well expect more in coming days, but it underlines that the risk in Brisbane around the Gold Coast in particular remains very, very real.”

NSW Ministry of Health’s Dr Jeremy McAnulty said the man flew to Ballina knowing he had been exposed to Covid-19 in his workplace and had been required to isolate for 14 days.

Dr McAnulty said the man received a false negative Covid result but that did not change the fact he was still not allowed to leave isolation.

“I have also been notified of a person who is now in Queensland who had been on a flight while knowing that they were a close contact,” Dr McAnulty said on Sunday.

“The person travelled on the 14th of July to Ballina from Sydney. From the flight manifest we‘ve received, we are contacting all passengers directly.

“We are aware of the person. He was tested on July 12 following identification of a workplace exposure.

“He was advised he was a close contact and to isolate for 14 days regardless of the test result.

“We understand he got a (negative) test result which was mistakenly provided by a private lab to inform him he was negative, but this didn‘t change the fact that he had to isolate for 14 days.”

Source link


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *