Coles roast chicken label reveals 24-hour expiry date


Or, like many, did you just assume the hot chicken roast would last at least a few days?

When a Melbourne mum spotted the date on her roast to read for the next day, she had questions.

She thought it could keep it in the fridge for a few days longer, but a Coles spokesperson has confirmed that if you want quality, it’s best to follow the date.

“Coles RSPCA Approved Hot Roast Chickens are cooked in store daily, and are one of our top selling items,” the spokesperson told news.com.au

“They make a delicious and convenient meal for the whole family and we recommend consuming within 24 hours to ensure maximum freshness and taste, in line with the printed Best Before date.”

RELATED: How to nab a free roast chicken

After the woman spotted the best-before date, she took to Facebook, sharing a snap of her label to ask Coles if it should be consumed within a day.

“Is it a normal thing for the best before date to be a day after it’s cooked and bought?” she wrote on the supermarket giant’s page.

Coles got back to her saying their BBQ Chickens “are best consumed within 24 hours” and the labels “should always have a Best Before of the next day on them”.

News.com.au also put the question to Woolworths about its popular hot chicken roast, where we recieved a similar response.

“We encourage customers to eat our hot roast chickens immediately, or refrigerate as soon as possible after purchase for maximum freshness,” a Woolworths spokesperson said.

The storage instructions on the outer packaging of its RSPCA-approved chickens state to keep refrigerated at 1-4°C and to consume within 24 hours of purchase.

RELATED: When to score a cheap roast chook

According to the Australian Chicken Meat Federation (ACMF), cooked chicken should be put in the fridge as soon as the steam has evaporated.

“Leftovers should be stored in the fridge immediately or frozen if more than one to two days’ storage is required,” it states on its website.

The ACMF, which is the peak co-ordinating body for participants in the chicken meat industry in Australia, also warns consumers to re-heat leftovers to at least 70C for a minimum of two minutes before eating.

If a product has a use-by date it means it must be eaten before a certain time for health or safety reasons, whereas those with a best-before date can still be eaten for a while after the date, Food Standards Australia states.

If you happen to miss out on a roast chicken at Coles, the supermarket giant has a policy that says if a hot chook isn’t ready to go in the heated cabinet then the company promises to hand over a free bird.

All the shopper has to do is notify staff there’s none available, and the company policy dictates a voucher must be given to use at another time.



Source link

Family’s travel plans ruined over wheelchair debacle


A Brisbane woman battling muscular dystrophy has been barred from flying on a Virgin plane because her wheelchair is 1cm above the airline’s accepted height dimensions.

Emma Weatherley tried to book a trip from Brisbane to Cairns for next month on April 6 with Flight Centre, but was told the airline would not accept her motorised wheelchair height of 85cm aboard.

“I went to America in 2017 with Virgin – booked through Flight Centre – and took this exact wheelchair without any problems,” she told NCA NewsWire.

“This chair fits in the boot of my Corolla and apparently there’s not enough room on a Boeing 737. It defies logic for me.”

It comes after Virgin cancelled her trip to the United States late last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The mother-of-two then got the money refunded in the way of a future travel credit and tried to book a domestic trip with her family instead, but the 40-year-old hit a curveball.

According to correspondence seen by NCA NewsWire, Flight Centre said Virgin was “unwilling to budge” on the height limit and “not willing to offer refunds on the credits”.

“The best option is to possibly go to the airport with your chair to check in, hopefully they accept it at the 85cm, but if they do not, then you would need to remove the wheels so it fits the accepted dimensions,” Ms Weatherley’s Flight Centre travel agent said in an email.

More correspondence from Virgin sent to Ms Weatherley suggested her chair “be dismantled or lowered below 84cm”.

But Ms Weatherley said her wheelchair “was not designed to be dismantled”.

“The wheels alone cost $10,000 and you would need to disassemble the motor inside them – it’s not designed for this, it will weaken the motors when they’re put back together.”

She also said hiring a manual wheelchair “was not an option”.

“I have muscular dystrophy – I don’t have the power in my arms to propel the wheels forward,” she said.

“I would literally need to get modifications done to my wheelchair to make it fit, which is ridiculous and would cost more money.”

Ms Weatherly wants a full refund of the $8500 she paid for her cancelled USA trip, rather than the travel credit she received.

“Travelling with a disability should not be made this difficult – it’s exhausting. If I can’t travel anywhere because of my wheelchairthen at least offer me a full refund.”

She said she did have travel insurance with “cancel for any reason cover”, but canned it once she accepted the flight credits.

Virgin said it did not accept electronic wheelchairs over the maximum height of 84cm for safety reasons.

If a customer’s wheelchair did not fit within the dimensions after being adjusted or disassembled they would need to travel with an alternative mobility aid – such as a manual wheelchair – which did fit within the allowable dimensions.

It’s understood Virgin provided Flight Centre with authority to provide a travel credit for the value of Ms Weatherley’s booking from Brisbane to Cairns.

Virgin Australia Group spokesman Kris Taute said: “We are working closely with the customers travel agent to resolve this case.”

Ms Weatherley’s travel agency Flight Centre confirmed it was working with Virgin on a solution.

“We have reached out to our contacts at Virgin to try and find the best possible solution however at this time, we do not have a clear response,” spokeswoman Anna Burgdorf said.

“We will continue to work with Mrs Weatherley to find the best solution for her circumstances.

“Flight Centre’s customers are incredibly to important to our business and we continue to advocate to find the best solution to any issues or concerns as they arise.”

Ms Weatherley has sought help from consumer advocate Adam Glezer’s group Travel Industry Issues.

The country’s travel industry has borne a brutal brunt of the COVID-19 pandemic after the federal government slammed international borders shut in March last year in a bid to stop the virus spreading to Australia.

Virgin collapsed into administration in April after it was no longer able to service its debts, while the pandemic forced the grounding of most of its fleet and starved the country’s second biggest airline of cash.

Deloitte stepped in to restructure Virgin, before selling it to American private investment firm Bain Capital.

Flight Centre posted a $662 million statutory loss after tax last year as a result of the pandemic, forcing the ASX-listed travel agent to close about 400 of the 740 stores it operated pre-COVID.

anthony.piovesan@news.com.au



Source link

Outrage as UK McDonald’s refuses to let man buy happy meal for his son


A McDonald’s in the UK has copped major backlash after reportedly refusing a father and son a Happy Meal.

Healthcare worker Sheree Claire and her 12-year-old son were in the car behind the pair at a McDonald’s in Leeds, West Yorkshire, with the father and son making their order by foot, via a drive-through lane.

In a now viral Twitter post alongside a snap of the pair at the counter, the woman said the man had tried to take his son for a Happy Meal, but because they didn’t have a car, staff refused to serve him.

“He was still polite,” Ms Claire said about the father.

At the moment in the UK, due to COVID lockdowns, the fast food restaurants are closed to dine-in and takeaway customers, with only drive-through available.

RELATED: Woman calls cops over Macca’s breakfast

After witnessing what had happened, her son then offered to buy the other young boy his meal, however, Ms Claire claimed, “McDonald’s refused to serve us.”

“So my son went over & gave his meal to the boy,” she said in her post.

“McDonald’s said nobody was allowed to buy the boy a meal; so sad. And he had a mask and I can’t see much difference when McDonald’s do UberEats delivery etc.”

The woman’s post, which has since been liked more than 25,000 times, prompted McDonald’s UK to respond.

RELATED: Macca’s drive-through fact blows minds

“We can’t serve customers on foot for safety, on this occasion we offered to assist the customer at the front of the restaurant away from the Drive Thru queue,” a spokesperson for the fast-food chain wrote in a tweet.

“We understand this wasn’t communicated to you properly so apologise for any confusion caused.”

But the mum continued that “nobody offered to do that”.

“As we were leaving when my son gave him his meal, he was stood and had asked somebody else to go to the drive-through for him, but they clearly said nobody could buy food for him,” she explained.

RELATED: Woman’s Macca’s coffee drink hack goes viral

McDonald’s then responded that there was a communication breakdown, offering another apology.

“The gentleman is one of our regular customers and the restaurant manager had made clear to him that their order would be brought to the front of the restaurant on this occasion, there does appear to have been a miscommunication with yourself and we do apologise for that.”

The mum’s post has since been inundated with furious comments with some describing it as “dreadful”.

“That is dreadful. Good on you and your son for doing this. People don’t need this in already difficult times,” one person wrote.

“What are the health and safety reasons. Especially since he’s already standing at the window,” one person asked. “Can we have evidence of the risk assessment carried out please.”

“Of course you can serve customers on foot. Many times your own staff come out to take the orders when the queues are building up. Wouldn’t have taken much to show a little humanity and take their order whilst they stand off the driveway,” another added.

“Why, why, why … what does it matter. Serve the guy his food!” a fourth person tweeted.

However, others defended McDonald’s saying a drive-through is for cars only.

“If you start letting people walk through the drive-through and order food it defeats the entire purpose of a ‘drive-through’ and bring a whole lot of safety issues.”





Source link

Two new coronavirus cases in hotel quarantine


Queensland has two new cases of coronavirus, albeit in hotel quarantine, while Victoria has a clean slate following overnight testing as border restrictions on Sydneysiders remain firmly in place.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the latest results on her Facebook page on Christmas morning.

Ms Palaszczuk posted that there were no “locally acquired” COVID-19 cases with both new positive tests from two travellers who returned from overseas and are in mandatory hotel quarantine.

The two new cases follows the positive test of a crew member on a superyacht that docked in Cairns.

The vessel entered Australian waters with an infected crew member on board and the passengers have refused to reveal vital information about where it had been, Queensland Health Minister Yvette D’Ath told reporters on Christmas Eve.

Queensland’s chief health officer Dr Jeanette Young said the guest passengers on the superyacht had been moved into quarantine, but six crew members remained on the boat for safety reasons.

“The superyacht originated in the Maldives and then came to Cairns, so we are trying to work through with them how it got onto that yacht,” she said.

Queensland has now had 101 consecutive days without community transmission.

It’s an enviable record Victoria is stalking after the state reported its 56th day without community transmission of the virus.

Victoria, like Queensland, has placed heavy restrictions on the movement of NSW residents following a cluster in the Northern Beaches region earlier this month.

Queensland has closed its borders to all residents and anyone who has been in the Northern Beaches region and Greater Sydney with all people entering the state needed to obtain a border pass.

Victoria has a similar ban for all Greater Sydney and Central Coast residents.





Source link