Channel 7’s court war with ex-Sunrise star dismissed


The court drama between Seven Network and former star Simon Reeve is over after the TV powerhouse’s claim against him was dismissed.

Reeve had asked for a Federal Court judge to order Seven to pay him more than half a million dollars after he was let go from the network last year.

In return Seven countersued Reeve, claiming “misleading and deceptive conduct” over the nature of Reeve’s employment.

But after Reeve and the network agreed on a confidential settlement last week, the cross-claim was also dismissed and recorded in the Federal Court system on Thursday.

Both claims were dismissed by judge Geoffrey Flick with consent of both parties on March 4.

Reeve had claimed his rights under the Fair Work Act had been breached and that he was owed compensation and entitlements after being dumped from the network.

Seven Network had claimed Reeve was a contractor through his own production company and not an employee.

Reeve was let go in mid-2020 after four decades with the network.

He became well-known in his roles as Weekend Sunrise sports presenter, news presenter, host of Million Dollar Minuteand host of It’s Academic.

But it all ended in June when Reeve got a call from the network telling him his role was no longer “required to be performed by him or by anyone”, he claimed in court documents.

The nature of the settlement between Reeve and Channel 7 has not been released.



Source link

Simon Reeve, former Sunrise star, settles court battle with Channel 7


An ex-star of breakfast TV show Sunrise has settled with former employer Channel 7 in a confidential settlement after months of courtroom drama.

Simon Reeve sued Seven Network in September claiming his Fair Work rights had been breached when he was let go last year.

But the matter was closed in the Federal Court on Thursday after being dismissed by judge Geoffrey Flick with the consent of both parties.

The settlement between Mr Reeve and the network is not known.

Mr Reeve had asked the judge to order Channel 7 to pay him more than $500,000 in unpaid entitlements and compensation over his dismissal.

He said his contract had been breached when he was let go after four decades with the network.

He became well-known in his roles as Weekend Sunrise sports presenter, news presenter, host of Million Dollar Minute and host of It’s Academic.

But it all ended in June when he got a call from the network telling him his role was no longer “required to be performed by him or by anyone”, Mr Reeve said in his statement of claim.

Seven Network countersued Mr Reeve in October and that matter remained open as of Monday.

It claimed Mr Reeve had been “misleading and deceptive” by seeking to be compensated as an employee when he was a contractor with his own production company that engaged with Seven.

Seven Network and the law firm acting for Mr Reeve, Laxon Lex Lawyers, were both contacted for comment.



Source link

Fox Sports presenter Jess Yates to host with unborn son


Talk about starting them early — sports presenter Jess Yates’ son will be part of history when he joins his mum in-utero to host the Mt Panorama 500 next week.

After COVID interrupted last year’s V8 series, Yates – who is seven-months pregnant – is revved up to host the 2021 Supercar Championships, and plans to keep working after her son’s expected arrival in April.

The baby boy will be a little brother to Isabella, 7, the first child of Yates and husband, former pro surfer Luke Egan.

“I’m getting towards the end [of my pregnancy], but I am super excited to be back up at Mt Panorama next week for the opening round of Supercars. It feels like we’ve been waiting forever for it all to kick back off,” the Fox Sports presenter said.

Despite years of battling chronic health problem, Yates is ready for the juggle that will come as a working mum of two.

Plagued by debilitating migraines since she was 14, the 37-year-old also began experiencing vertigo after falling pregnant.

“I love what I do and I don’t want to miss out, particularly after the interrupted year that we had last year,” the Cronulla local said.

“I’ve had a really good break over Christmas and I am ready and rearing to go so I will be there at Mt Panorama. Then we’ll just see what happens but I don’t plan on having any time off, or too much time off.”

As for the action on the track, Yates said we can expect a lot of great stories to play out this year.

“We found out just a couple of weeks ago that this will be Jamie Whincup’s final season as a full-time driver,” she said.

“So can he win the championship and end it all with a fairytale? I think he absolutely can.

“He’ll probably be the guy to beat this year.

“Not that he ever needed any extra motivation, but I think the desire for him to really finish what has been a stellar career on a high at the pinnacle, at the very top, will be something dangling in front of him all year.”

Oh and Yates said also keep an eye on last year’s up-and-comers Chaz Mostert and Cameron Waters.

* Mt Panorama 500 – Live with no ads during racing from Friday Feb 26 – Sunday Feb 28. Watch on Foxtel or stream for free on Kayo.



Source link