Three travellers fined for flying to Darwin without permits


Three Melburnians have been caught fleeing the city’s lockdown without a valid travel permit and escaping to the Northern Territory.

Two women, aged 24 and 34, and a 40-year-old man travelled separately from Melbourne to Darwin over the weekend without any exemptions.

The 24-year-old allegedly lied to authorities saying she had been in Brighton “a few weeks ago” but later confessed to being in the southeastern suburb of Melbourne last week, Northern Territory Police said.

Melbourne is deemed a coronavirus hot spot with anyone travelling from there requiring an authorised travel permit.

Melbourne has been locked down for almost a fortnight, with the possibility of the strict orders being extended due to the rising number of mystery cases in metropolitan Melbourne.

Each traveller was slapped with a fine of $5056.

Two travellers were sent home on a flight on Saturday and one passenger stayed overnight at Darwin’s quarantine facility before being sent back to Melbourne on Sunday morning.

Northern Territory Incident controller Sachin Sharma urged travellers not to travel to the NT from a declared coronavirus hot spot.

“Authorities are checking each border entry form upon arrival,” he said.

“If you are providing false information about your whereabouts, we will know. If you are expecting to be allowed into the Territory without an exemption, you will not be.

“This is a serious situation and we will continue to enforce chief health officer directions with a zero tolerance approach.”



Source link

Author: Shirley